Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Pare Down

Last week was Power Down.  This week, Pare Down.

Our lives/minds are cluttered (at least mine is) because we are a society of excess.  Don't get me wrong; I love Sam's Club more than Brad likes the Noble, and Coach REI....likely not with regard to either, but exaggerating for effect.  Just as Brad has qualms with those that frequent the Noble, I am often depressed by the Sam's Club clientele.  Nonetheless, big fan of excess/economical buying for those products actually consumed in excess.....i.e. fruits and vegetables in my case.

And since on the topic, many of you learned of my vexation/disgust when Sam's Club changed their soft pretzel (one of my 12 weaknesses) supplier.  The Gods above (i.e. Sam Walton) listened; they have since changed again....not quite as good as the original (what is these days?), but a respectable 2nd.

Veering back on point here, I will start with a simple example:  t-shirts.  On a mission to de-clutter my house, I started with the closet.  Quickly rounded up over 70 t-shirts....know of more in the storage room and had a few in the laundry since was a week + behind on that front.  Thus, let's say an even 100 in stock.  3+ months or 1/4 year worth of t-shirts.  I could outfit a football team.....that being a junior high football team of course!


To make matters even worse, I rarely wear t-shirts these days.  Most of my wardrobe is dri-fit in nature....yes, there is a section of my closet dedicated to Under Armour clothing....and yes, setting foot in an Under Armour Outlet store is like the smell of fresh baked pumpkin muffins.....UNTIL one realizes that the pricing isn't "Outlet" to any degree.  Like the speed limit on Interstates, convinced that the company internal slogan/motto is "Minimum 40; the Idiots Will Buy Despite".  Myself being one of those idiots.

OK, quickly realized that I needed to come to terms and rid myself of part of the chaos; pare down.  Quick and dirty to start....out the door:

1.  10+ t-shirts not even my current size.

2.  Have played the Midlands (Iowa City) Tournament 10 (?) of the last 20 years.  Still trying to figure out when they acquired Budweiser as a sponsor:

3.  Had this t-shirt been dated 1977 or prior, the noted statement would mean that I'd played in the US Open.  Not the case; 30's National tournament instead.  The experience of playing on grass at WSTC was meaningful, but don't need a t-shirt to recall the experience itself, or parts of.....like being sent to the back courts (where the kids' camp was being held) when tried to check in at the tournament desk.


Due to an attachment of some sort, the following made the cut:

1.  The 12+ t-shirts with the #12 proudly displayed on the back.  Did let go of a few of these; was difficult though!

2.  Two t-shirts* I consider my own version of the "Frankie Says Relax" shirt as referenced in an episode of Friends.....dating myself here since I have come to realize many/most of the current college generation are AF....After Friends.    
*Both exceptions to Rule #1 above.

Yes, I was Jim McMahon for Halloween 5 years in a row....my best friend was a cheerleader.    Would often parade around the house/neighborhood with orange and navy wrist and headbands made of construction paper.
Given to me by my cousins/Aunt/Uncle, who actually attended the game.  Eric Davis was my favorite baseball player for years....five tool player with sheer speed (one of my own greatest assets and thus, respect for).  Not sure why else would have grown an affinity to this shirt, nor when/why it became my painting shirt, but it has been through 3 epoxied garage floors and MANY painted rooms.

3.  A Braves t-shirt that my Aunt (from Peachtree City, GA) painted.....designed after a t-shirt that sells at their stadium for $60.  Quickly realized that this t-shirt is not as accepted in Iowa, and find that strangely comical when wear it.....on the face (pun intended), is merely a large Native American head.  Emmie has a pink t-shirt with the same design and being a Braves fan herself, wears it often; I was asked for an explanation from her teacher.

Next project on tap.....towels!  Didn't realize I was secretly and slowly preparing for a flood.  Believe I'm on a 500 year floodplain so I'm going to pare down and take my chances.  Despite those chances being at great, certainly less than 500 year, risk of course:

June 13th, 2008:  First Avenue and Second Street in downtown Cedar Rapids, Iowa. (Stephen Mally for The New York Times)

No comments:

Post a Comment