Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Kroll Report 6

Fall Break left the campus feeling like a ghost town. Luckily, a couple of the women were unable to return home for the short break and we found plenty things to do instead of our school work.

My Friday night was spent in the racket center with a group of middle schoolers. Laura and I ran a couple of drills for them but quickly found out that the attention span of middle schoolers on a Friday night on tennis courts is not the strongest. With the help of Kris, we bribed the kids with homemade pizza and juice boxes. They were calm for about 30 seconds and they were off again, running through the racket center playing tennis, hide-and-seek, ping pong and watching TV. The amount of energy in these kids was astonishing and it left me feeling old. I'm only 18 so I can't imagine how depressing it must be to actually get old.

On Saturday Kohawk Tennis hosted a community event called Fun, Fitness and Philanthropy. I was in charge of the obstacle course that lasted an average of 5 minutes of the fifteen per rotation. The following ten minutes often resulted in the kids running around like mad-men and me doing somersaults for the 4 year old girls who told me I was 4,000 years old. Another one of those daggers to the heart.

After the community event me, Diannah, Tamara, Shade and Laura went to the Caf to eat, however, they forgot some students would be staying on campus for fall break and served an extremely limited menu for the entirety of fall break. We walked to Zio Johno's for lunch and hung out for the rest of the day.

Shade and I accompanied some of our California friends to dinner at a local Vietnamese restaurant  After dinner Shade and I continued into downtown Cedar Rapids and found some cool places. We will most likely be seeing a play down at the Cedar Rapids Theatre. We are pretty excited. Maybe we could drag the rest of the freshman or the entire team along as a classy team bonding activity.

Sunday was highlighted by dinner and a movie with the same group above. We ate at Carlos O'Kelly's and a saw Pitch Perfect. I have a theory that Carlos O'Kelly's was bought out by Inspired Mex because it was the only name on the newly designed menus. Pitch Perfect was hilarious and everybody should see it. Earlier in the day my aunt and uncle from New Hartford came to town and took me to lunch and drove me around Cedar Rapids. It was a nice break from campus life.

On Monday Kris kindly offered to take Diannah and Laura on a driving lesson. The two have their learners permit so I was surprised that Kris was willing to take them out in her own car. Brad and I tagged along for the fun. We almost hit a couple cars and I walked directly in front of a car while enjoying my Reese's Peanut Butter Cup DQ Blizzard. Didn't she see me eating?

The weekend was a good one and a much needed break. Though I managed to completely neglect my studies and homework until today, I am telling myself it is ok because of the weekend I had. Go me.

No comments:

Post a Comment