Thursday, November 1, 2012

Email Inquiry....

Received the following email:

My children are still talking about the smoothie they had at the fitness event.  Would you be able to give me the recipe?  Thank you.

Decided I should share the recipe (from Susie VanMetre) with all:


1/2 ice
1 cup frozen strawberries
1 cup frozen blueberries
1 banana
1/2 plain greek yogurt (but you can use any kind of yogurt)
1 cup orange juice (add more if smoothie is too thick)
Honey to taste (we did not use honey at this event, but I think it adds some sweetness to the smoothie, so that is up to you).

I also made chili this evening, and it turned out great.  A recipe from the original SuperFoods book and appropriate on Halloween!!

Turkey Pumpkin Chili

2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Large Onion
1 Large Green Bell Pepper
2 Cloves Garlic
3 Cups Chicken or Turkey Stock (I used Vegetable)
3 Tablespoons Chili Powder
1 (28 ounce) Can Diced Tomatoes
1 1/4 LBS Ground Turkey (I used ground venison)
2 Cups Cubed Fresh Pumpkin or Butternut Squash (steamed until fork tender)
2 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Cilantro
1 (16 ounce) Can White Beans (drained)

Heat oil in skillet.  Add onions, garlic and pepper; saute.  Add the turkey and brown.  Once turkey is cooked through, add the stock, chili powder and tomatoes.  Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes.  Stir in the beans and cilantro and cook an additional 5 minutes.  

I threw in fresh tomatoes (Thank You Lisa!) in addition to the canned and used dried cilantro because didn't have fresh.  I also added garlic powder, additional chili powder and salt/pepper to taste.  
Carved pumpkins on Tuesday evening with the Postnikov family!  Had a blast, and great food!  Of course, Emmie chose an intricate design which I carved much of while she played.

No comments:

Post a Comment