Wednesday, November 28, 2012

My First Two Miles....

Upon Brad's return from Thanksgiving in Texas, and with some down time on the horizon, I asked him  for 3 books from his collection; his choice.  He must have little faith in me because he showed up the next day with only 2:
1.  Born to Run (highlighted in a previous post of Brad's) and
2.  The Wave

I perused the first 4 chapters of the former whilst Brad worked out Noah, Curtis and Ryan.  They sauntered back into the office with revels of how Kohawk Tennis would benefit from their soon expected lottery winnings.  Didn't catch the news; did that pan out?

Quickly diverted Brad's attention back on topic.....the Tarahumara tribe, barefoot/minimalist shoes, etc. I was intrigued to say the least.  In part because of my first, and recent, injury/limitation attributed to the aging process.  Tendonitis in one of my knees.  Although a different injury, I related to the author's sought after, no limitations, ability to attain "SuperAthlete" status....or to at least, close the gap.

Detoured to Dick's Sporting Goods on my way home.  Asked the shoe sales manager to point me in the right direction.  He literally balked at what I first assumed was my novice approach (felt about as uncomfortable as Brad in a coffee shop, and questioned whether a true runner can spot one of it's own kind, and those who are not).

Not the case.....instead, he proceeded to rattle off facts/figures from his 20+ (informed me of that too) years of experience in the field......pointed to his Asics shoes as being the best in the industry....the need for support....blah, blah.  I literally stared at him like a deer caught in headlights and debated whether to turn and run like a true Tarahumaran would, or at the least, depart in embarrassment for having asked, and then been defeated.

Upon completing his rant, he said they carried a Merrell Glove, but would never carry Five Finger Shoes.  Dumbfounded for a few seconds, and in debate of the above stated options, I shyly asked him if he'd ever read Born to Run.  Only 4 chapters into the book, and with little knowledge as to my next statement/path, I braced for his answer.  "No."  (a sigh of relief)

I then asked to try on the Merrells that he had.  After bringing me the proper size, he returned to stocking a new display, with little concern for the outcome of my inquisitiveness.  Walked/jogged around their track trying to gauge the # of laps to complete a mile (a wide range but thinking between 42 and 66).  With only one pair of minimalist shoes on site, and no five finger shoes, decided it best to shop elsewhere.  Returned the shoes to said manager, thanked him and briefly talked hiking (his passion according to his nametag) in an attempt to regain some semblance of integrity, and confidence in being able to return to the store at some point.

And, I will have Brad accompany me the next time I set foot (pun intended) in Dick's shoe department.  Sick Brad, his 32 chapters of Born to Run knowledge, and kinesiology degree, on the angry (and hates life) salesman!  Anyone else want to witness that confrontation with me?

Sidetracked, sorry.  That all happened yesterday.  Am now 184 pages into the book.  Still enthralled.  Relate to both the tribe, and many other characters highlighted within.  Although I don't claim to be Born to Run (like the author asserts all of us are), I was certainly born to play.  I have always found peace in being on any type of athletic field/court....quite simplistic really.....like a Dick & Jane book, see ball, chase ball.....nothing is more symbolical of "how the world should be" than children at play.  This spirit is often sidelined and/or gets lost in the many details of life.  Nonetheless, "it" exists in me.

The "it" factor itself is discussed at length as Dr. Joe Vigil sits in observance of a Leadville Trail 100 race outlined in the book.  I became even more enthralled at this point since Coach Rodgers and I have discussed the "it" factor as it pertains to Kohawk Tennis on numerous occasions.  Is "it" inherent?  Can "it" be taught?  At one point, we even conjectured that one must have grown up with siblings to have some semblance of the notion.  (and I take measures to ensure Emmie has "siblings" in her life)

I will let you read the book to acquire insight into Dr. Vigil's own assessment of the "it" factor.  Intriguing to say the least!

Ok.  8:30 PM and as stated, 184 pages into the book.  Could no longer resist the urge/itch.  Intent on running barefoot myself.  With a sleeping child, darkness around me and the cold, decided my best option would be the treadmill.  A treadmill/fitness equipment (even a circular track for that matter) rebuts the "child at play" concept, but my options were limited.  In fact, if any indication of how little I use the treadmill that I have, the weight was still set at 220 (those who know me well, understand the implication).

Started at a walking pace, and with book in hand.  Form was abysmal.....in part because was trying to read at the same time.....and in part because was doing what have been trained to do....heel to toe.  As the book alludes to, your heel exists only to support you when upright and idle.  Still not sure whether walking falls into the category of upright & idle, or in motion?  Would be difficult to walk in a non heel to toe fashion?  Nonetheless, cranked up the conveyor belt and ran my first two barefoot miles!

Those experienced barefoot runners have "marvelous elasticity" in their feet.  I quickly felt my toes spreading to grip.  Lacking on the elasticity front myself, a burning sensation set in at the mid-point.  Surged forward despite, fully expecting there to be cracks in the skin upon completion.....after all, embracing pain, rather than fearing it, allows for growth!  See visions of myself playing barefoot tennis in the future.  At the least, Coach needn't worry about my marking his courts (except with maybe blood).

In sum, rather enjoyed the endeavor.  Upward and onward.  After I finish Born to Run.  ;)

Lastly, just as many of the concepts within Fit for Life fall back on common sense (why would humans drink cow's milk?), the minimalist shoe craze does the same.  In conjunction with simple engineering, I will leave you with the following thought/question: Why would you support an arch?

No comments:

Post a Comment