Thursday, November 15, 2012

Year End Championships and Other Thoughts


The professional tennis season came to a close this past week the top 8 players in the world meeting for the Year End Championships at London’s O2 Arena. Since this is my last chance to talk about professional tennis until next year, I decided to dedicate this post to my thoughts on the Year End Event rather than go with my first idea, Why Alexander Hamilton is better than Thomas Jefferson. 

Suck it Jefferson! Who's on the $10?

Player of the year:
At the end of every athletic season everyone wants to know who had the best year. Tennis is no different. Virtually the whole season we hear talk of who is having the best year. I’m going to try something a little different and look at some facts before making a decision. Bear with me. For the first time since ­2003 four different men won grandslams this year. Australia went to Djokovic, The French Open went to Nadal, Wimbledon went to Federer, and the Open went to Murray. Obviously, Nadal is not in contention because of his injury status, which leaves Federer, Djokovic, and Murray. I’ll try to set aside my dislike of Murray and give an objective opinion here.

It’s still not Murray. He did win the Olympics and the US Open but ZERO Masters tournaments. Fed won Wimbledon and ­­three Masters tournaments and reached Year End Finals, beating Murray along the way. And finally, Djokovic made 3 slam finals (better than anyone else), won ­­3 Masters tournaments and finished the year by winning in London.  His record is also 75-12 compared to 56-16 for Murray and 71-12 for Federer. Given these numbers, it seems the player of the year was Djokovic. If you’re a Murray supporter and think he should take home the honors because of his Olympic and US Open performance, remember this is Player of the Year, not Player of a Good Summer Stretch Culminating in the US Open. Also, if you’re a Murray supporter, you’re dead to me.

Scheduling:
Before talking about the actual tournament let’s go over the concern that is always voiced after the US Open wraps up: the tennis season is too long. I go back and forth on this one, and I think it really depends on where you are ranked. Look at Fed’s playing schedule. He plays in January then takes a month off and comes back for Rotterdam and Dubai, takes a week off then plays Indian Wells and Miami in March. He then has another month off before he begins a significant stretch starting with Madrid in May and ending with Wimbledon in July. His usual six week break until Cincinnati in August was interrupted by the Olympics this year but that’s once every four years. Federer then plays Cincinnati and the US Open before taking another chunk of time off before playing Shanghai in October and the Year End Championships in November.

 I can’t say that’s really too much playing. Federer’s pattern of calendar play goes something like this: play a few tournaments, take a month off, repeat. Now, it is much different for guys who aren’t at the top of the rankings. They play every week because they really have to. No tournament, no paycheck. Federer makes money sitting at home playing with the kids because he has so many endorsement deals. You can bet most tennis players don’t have that luxury, so even if you could legitimately shorten the tennis season, I’m not sure how many of the players would actually support that proposition when it came down to it.

He just made $1 million for eating that candy

Year End Tournament.
If they did make the year shorter maybe it would result in better tennis at the Year End Masters. Federer and Djokovic looked ready to go, but nearly everyone else looked happy to just be there. Tsonga was checked out before it started, Tipsarevic was overmatched, Ferrer was… well he was just fine but that’s Ferrer.  It almost felt like the All-Star Game or the Pro-Bowl where the goal is to be selected to go there, not to play great once there.  Federer’s match with Murray was interesting: Fed got down quickly but steadied himself and was able to win the set. Once the first set was over, Murray was done. He looked checked out mentally and physically. I know the first set was close throughout, but you can look to the point where Federer clawed back for a hold when he was already down one break as the moment when the mule threw Tony as my high school math teacher always told us (usually when he said that, it was referring to our utter lack of competence in anything using numbers). Murray was blown out in the second set so bad that Federer brought back the ol’ chip and charge and Murray couldn’t stop it.

Stadium Entrances:
One of my favorite parts about the Year End Championships is the players get to have a big entrance through smoke with music blaring in the background. While most players act like this is a big nuisance and want to just play tennis, I think they should embrace the moment and really live it up during their entrances. Play to the crowd, do a dance, rip some shirts Hulk Hogan style; that way the crowd knows you’re ready to bring it! 

Hulkamania! WOOO BROTHA!

I’ve spent and inordinate amount of time thinking about proper entrance music. From baseball, to basketball, to pro wrestling – that’s right, pro wrestling - ; the proper entrance sets the mood for what’s to come. I’ve thought about this much too in depth for way too much of my life. I used to dream about what my pro wrestling entrance music would be (Ray mysterio you’re still the greatest), but since I’m no longer in the third grade I’ve tailored my entrance music dream for tennis.

It's still real to me!

A good entrance can set the mood for a great match, or a poor entrance can send the audience to the bathroom in droves. Don’t just take my word for it; let us not forget what Shakespeare said in one of his most inspiring passages from King Henry V, “we few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother. And Thou needest a great entrance, set to rocking music!”

At this point you’re probably dying to know what music would be pouring forth into your virgin ears as I triumphantly enter the O2 Arena. And no, I’m not speaking hypothetically – Coach Rodgers, we have precious little time to make me a world class tennis player so I can realize my dream of entering raucous arenas to some sick music. My guess is it will be tough but we should have everything figured out by next week. I feel my biggest obstacle will be deciding on only one song. One option is All I Do Is Win by DJ Khaled. I would go with this song because it describes what I will most likely be doing: winning (am I right!). Another option is Can’t be touched by Roy Jones Jr. This was my anthem during my college playing days. Before winning the ITA, me and my doubles partner probably gave ourselves minor hearing damage while getting pumped to this song. My top option right now is Darth Vader’s theme music from Star Wars. If you don’t immediately year this music playing in your head, you’ve been living in a world devoid of sound for 30 years. Picture this: the O2 Arena is quiet, the crowd is electric with anticipation, smoke begins filling the entrance area. Then, the music starts. That unmistakable score starts playing as I enter wearing all black; my opponent, the announcers, the crowd: we all know what’s coming.

When I said wearing all black, I really meant it

That would be an entrance we could all get behind. I would watch that even if Oregon was playing…okay I would flip back and forth but only because they’re both awesome.

Championship Match:
During the final match, Federer got out to a quick lead aganist Djokovic, but then realized he was winning easily and promptly put an end to that foolishness. He gave up the lead and the first set went to a tiebreaker where Federer found himself down 5-6. The next point Federer was in control and had a shot to approach on but inexplicably hit it right to Djokovic’s forehand. I believe Federer did this for a reason and that was to illustrate a point I made about him a few weeks ago. I said the whole reason we watch Federer play is in the hope that he will pull out one of his impossible shots that make us all question the laws of physics. After hitting an awful approach, Djokovic pounced on the pass which Federer barely touch, Djokovic then raced to the net for the put-away. The ball went past Federer who was in poor position with the wrong grip. At this point I knew the point and the set were over. You simply cannot hit that ball back. Sure enough, Federer wasn’t able to do anything with the ball and lost the point

Wait, no he didn’t! Federer ran to the ball and with his back to the net, using a continental grip, hit one of the sickest angles you’ll ever see! SFkhagsdlkhsdglsd…sorry, I still freak out a little bit just thinking about that shot. I don’t know what happened next. There were other points and sets I’m sure, and Federer must have achieved sweet, sweet victory. I never got around to checking the final score.

What’s that? Federer lost? Oh God.


No comments:

Post a Comment