Thursday, May 24, 2012

Good Morning!

I find myself up early, and at a coffee shop working.  Snapped the picture above on my way in for a number of reasons:  beautiful sight that reminds me of my daughter (who points out the Hiawatha Water Tower to me every morning on the way to school), to figure out the camera feature on my new phone, to display my interest (but not necessarily talent) in photography and finally, as a tribute to Coach Rodgers' father - who ALWAYS follows Kohawk Tennis, Celtics basketball and IS an accomplished photographer (view his blog here).  


6:12 AM - I read the email below from another one of our biggest supporters - Doctor Peter McCormick ("Doc") - a Professor of Philosophy at Coe.  Doc often finds his way over to practice, stops in to the tennis office to chat, sends the team away (on trips) with his infamous trail mix (recipe posted below despite the use of sweetened condensed milk within) and is usually present for home and away matches.


"Hey Kris, I came across an interesting infomercial on the Web while I was following links from that awesome Gatorade Lochte piece (purepowerathlete.com).  I ended up at a site called beyond diet.com (all I saw was stuff about diet, in spite of the name).  The interesting thing is that as she described their recommended diet I realized that it's similar to or the same as the 'paleo' diet.  NO PROCESSED FOODS!  Meat, fruit, vegetables, etc.  Now, the interesting thing about this is that she presents a rationale for the diet that purports to be biochemical and that focuses on the role of insulin in creating fat.  This is far more interesting that the silly your-ancestors-of-ten-thousand-years-ago-didn't-eat processed-foods reasoning that I've heard in support of the paleo diet.

Just thought you might want to check it out if you have a few spare minutes sometime.


Peter


P.S.  What do you think about that Lochte workout?"

Thank you for the email Doc!  I will definitely follow up on the links in your email, research the biochemical reasoning and figure out what the Lochte workout is (and try it!) before providing you with my own input.

Breakfast Bars (or Granola)


After Nigella Lawson’s recipe in
Nigella Express
3 c. Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats
1 c . each of seeds, nuts, dried fruit
1 14 oz can of Sweetened Condensed Milk
Mix dry ingredients in large bowl.
Add warmed condensed milk and stir.
Press into greased 9 x 13 pan
Bake at 250 for an hour
Cool.  After 15 minutes, cut into squares.  Continue cooling.
Variation: For a granola version, put bowl of granola mixture directly into oven instead of pressing into 9 x 13 pan.
Notes: For a crunchier result, use 275 instead of 250.  Nigella’s recipe uses 2½ c of oats and 1 cup of coconut – try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment