Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Health & Wellness Wednesday - Clean, GARLIC, CC, Paleo...

While visiting my relatives in Peachtree City last week, two books on their coffee table caught my attention - Clean and Convict Conditioning.  For the record, the two books I picked up from their coffee table during my visit last year.....Fit for Life and Sugar Busters!  Thinking I need to visit more often!


Clean - The Revolutionary Program to Restore the Body's Natural Ability to Heal Itself
http://www.cleanprogram.com/
Although I have never engaged in a detox, or any type of fasting in the past, this approach appealed to me since it was food (rather than pure juice and/or mere fasting) based.  I started the program upon my return home Sunday and stuck with it for 2 1/2 days.  Deviated this evening to appease the family.  However, saw results in the short time dedicated to it and will do the full 7-21 days when can better fit into my schedule / training.  I would suggest purchasing the book if actually going to try the cleanse (a temporary change in nutrition in order to rid the body of built up plaque, etc).  However, here are the basics:


Pre and post cleanse, the book suggests following what I would deem a slightly more restricted version of SuperFoods.  The following link lists the foods included and excluded within that.


The cleanse itself:
1.  Follow for 7-21 days (the cleaner your body is to start, the less time the detox will take).
2.  Take a fiber supplement per directions on supplement itself.  The book suggests psyllium husks (I found at a Health Market) or seed, prune fiber or guar gum.
3.  Take probiotics (15 million organisms per dose) per directions on supplement itself.  
3.  Raw clove of garlic daily (actually tasty if sliced thin and eaten between apple slices).
4.  2 Tablespoons olive oil before bed every night (follow with warm water and lemon). I had trouble stomaching this the first night.  Mixed with water (realize an oxymoron) the second evening and handled just fine.  
5.  Liver support product such as milk thistle (sylimarin), N acetyl cysteine, dandelion root or wormwood leaf.  Didn't purchase or utilize because bill was already adding up too quickly (and hoped my liver in good health since "young").
6.  Herbal laxatives at night if no bowel movement.  Dr. Schulze's Intestinal Formula or Swiss Kriss suggested.  Also didn't purchase, nor need.
7.  Drink water to induce hourly urination.
8.  Smoothie, Juice or Soup (recipes in book) for breakfast and dinner.  Solid meal for lunch to include YES foods on the list, or per recipes in book (quinoa with chicken, etc).
9.  Light snack mid-morning and mid-afternoon from YES list.  Or additional smoothie, juice or soup if need calories (per training needs).
10.  Fast for 12 hours in the evening.  7 PM - 7 AM or 8 PM - 8 AM...



A sidenote to the above.  Since directed to consume raw garlic, I of course questioned the benefits of.  With minimal research, discovered that garlic, like apples, has a coined phrase:
- An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
- Raw garlic each day keeps disease away.
If follow my suggestion above (garlic between apple slices), you can accomplish both!  I plan to continue consuming this on a daily basis.....with the exception of those evenings when have a date (if ever find the time to do that of course).  Lastly, additional benefits of garlic:
17 Benefits
Wonder Drug


Now, to the second book - Convict Conditioning.  My Aunt purchased this book for my cousin, Charlie, a stud baseball pitcher.  Written by a 20+ year inmate who built phenomenal forms of strength utilizing only his body weight.  Claims that today's gym, and modern weightlifting, is a hoax.  6 areas of the body stressed (but multiple muscles worked within each).  10 progressions for each area.  I have started my fitness class on step 1 for each.  As for a timeline, I'd like to attain level 10 across the board by next year at this time (that allows 5 weeks to master each step).

A link to the first progression within each step of Convict Conditioning:

Finally, after being referenced to the Paleo Diet last week, my cousin Jenna (Charlie's sister) emailed me to ensure that I knew of the Paleo trend, and fact that she was starting it on Monday (two days ago).  I will keep you apprised of her progress.  She included the following info/links in her email to me:

1 comment: