Saturday, December 4, 2010

Tournament Recap

Apologies for the delayed post. I know all of you are waiting on edge for updates, right? Unfortunately, the tournament did not pan out as planned. I batted 0-3 yesterday.

Dropped the singles semi in the morning (6-1, 6-0) to an opponent that proved to be much tougher than anticipated. Inoue simply did not miss.....EVER! Based on that fact, and an admitted mentality going into the match that she was better than I, believe I gave up on grinding from the baseline too soon in the match. Tried playing more of an attack game to counter, yet that aspect of my game simply is not ready (yet!) for that level of play. Had a I stuck a few more set-up volleys, I suppose the score would have been respectable. Overall, she broke me down mentally and physically....too soon in the match....and much too easily in my opinion. Live and learn!

Following that performance (or lack thereof), lost the mixed final. Neither my partner or I played up to par. Thus, I partially retract my statement that anything short of a Gold Ball was on me.....yet, still take my fair share of the blame. Mentally, I was still struggling after receiving my beat-down in the morning and BJ alluded to his lack of recent competitive play. On the other hand, our opponents stepped up.....played very fundamental, smart doubles and their DESIRE to win was very obvious. Congratulations to my doubles partner on receiving her first Gold Ball!

The doubles final also proved difficult....against the #1 seed (Riddell and Dailey). We lost 6-1, 7-6(4).....definitely had our opportunities in the second to split, but their matchplay experience prevailed.

Rough day for me! Big picture remains promising though. Room for improvement and will continue to do so. Still seeking my first Gold Ball. Currently have 3 Silvers, 1 Bronze and a 4th place trophy (defaulted the 3/4 match so that I could catch my plane last night) at the National level. Feel like Phil Mickelson for much of his career and prior to 2004....always 2nd! Nonetheless, have an increased appreciation for those with multiple Gold Balls.....Riddell acquired her 14th after beating my partner and I in doubles yesterday (and perhaps will have #15 shortly if she fares better than I against Inoue), Ginnard has 30+ and Dodo Cheney holds 266!

Immediately departed for the airport following my matches. Caught my flight. Arrived in Chicago late last night and drove through a snow storm on our way back to Iowa. Given my rushed departure, was still in tennis attire upon arriving home. It is not too often one tracks SNOW and CLAY into the house at the same time. Glad to be home and looking forward to the Holiday Party we have scheduled for the teams this Monday!

Thanks to all for their support in my endeavour to acquire a Gold Ball.....especially my family and Coach Rodgers!

1 comment:

  1. Keep focused on your goals, Kris! You'll get that gold ball! I enjoyed meeting you and watching you play. You are my benchmark!

    ReplyDelete