Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Journeys......


As most of you know, I recently spent a few days wandering around trails in Big Bend National Park. Once or twice a year, I try to get away for some "me" time, to unwind, to ponder, to plan out the upcoming months, establish goals, and courses of action. Hidden within the photo above is a trail I traveled descending some 800' to the Rio Grande River. One of the toughest non-rope descents I have ever made.

As a Tennis Player we all make Journeys too. Some easy, some difficult. Often times Tennis Players focus on results, a win or a loss, rather than the process. Easy to do. Our society is incredible in its interest in the final score. In a tennis match we cannot control the final score. What we can do is control our effort on each point, keeping our emotions positive and under control, pitting our skills against an opponent's until an outcome is reached. No matter how uncomfortable we might become.

As I wandered down that canyon, falling occasionally, slipping constantly, I thought about being done with the descent, of being on a more comfortable path. Subconsciously I realized that I had better pay attention and concentrate on getting down the canyon, rather than being comfortable, because if I didn't, I could well finish this journey with a broken bone. Or two!


No comments:

Post a Comment