Friday, December 17, 2010

Back on Court!

Took a couple days off following National's, but am back on court! Perhaps in prep for Les Grandes Dames? Spent some time assessing my weaknesses, and am in the process of formulating a plan to remedy.

Off court, and as stated in one of my previous posts, my fitness level could have been higher down in Ft. Lauderdale. I am actually quite fit, but need to be fitter to compete at that level. Plus, FITNESS is one of the core principles of the Coe Tennis Program....can't hurt to lead by example! Thinking I may par down the 60 day Insanity program to 5 weeks, with "maintenance" workouts the week of the tournament. This past Spring, I tackled the full 60 day Insanity program, and found myself in the best shape of my life upon completion.

On court, I need to improve my mid-court game. This was very evident in my 3 set match against Chuck Lampe yesterday! Also, both Coach and I have been working on our footwork / recovery footwork......recovering to or near the baseline when hitting rally groundstrokes; which should allow me to best take advantage of the short ball (once my mid-court game improves of course!). The Spaniards do this with ease, which is why we have incorporated some Spanish training drills into team practices. There are certainly other weaknesses in my game, but focusing on the above two will be most advantageous to me in the near term, and in prep for another clay tournament.

On campus, most of the students have completed finals and are more than ready for Break! Coach Rob is on a plane back to CA and Coach Rodgers is somewhere in Big Bend National Park (TX) at the moment.....probably recovering from a 15 mile hike! The Racquet Center will be fairly quiet over the course of the next month. The 3 coaches will utilize the time to prep for the Spring season.....practice planning, player development assessment, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment