Thursday, December 2, 2010

Semi-Finals!

Started with doubles at noon and it was quite a match! I served to start the match and was immediately broken (good start, huh?). We were close to being down 0-3, but my partner fought off some tough returns and game points to keep us in the set. Won the first 7-5; dropped the second set 6-3. Started strong in the 3rd and quickly went up 4-1. Unfortunately, we let them back in the match.....my partner was broken at 4-2, and I at 5-3. With the crowd behind them (Ginnard is one of the pros at Lauderdale Tennis Club), our opponents took the lead 6-5, 40-15 in the game. We fought off the two match points, and a third ad point in their favor, before eventually taking the game. I had a stab volley that trickled over the net on one of those match points.....those that know me well understand that luck is usually on my side! Although, my Dad always says, "You create your own luck." Perhaps my hours on the court with Coach drilling low volleys at me paid off? OK....back to the match. Quickly down 0-3 in the 3rd set breaker, but continue to fight and end up winning the breaker 7-4 to take the match. Several momentum swings throughout the match; great doubles all around! Props to my doubles partner (Ioulia Bolotova) and our opponents for putting on a great show!

Despite the long match, I was ready and fired up for mixed doubles. Took a short break while the court was being swept, brushed and watered down. I have to admit it is pretty cool to step onto a freshly swept clay court. Everyone held serve the first 7 games and the quality of doubles was very high! We got the break at 4-3 and cruised from there......6-3, 6-1.

Again, was ready to play singles! Unfortunately, the singles semi's were moved to tomorrow at the request of others. I have a flight out Friday evening, but doubt I will make it since the Singles Final and/or 3/4 match is scheduled for Saturday morning.

Tomorrow's schedule of play:
Singles Semi - 10 am
Mixed Final - 2 pm
Doubles Final - 4 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment