Monday, August 27, 2012

New Faces of Kohawk Tennis - LAURA BIRKY

My name is Curtis Newman.  I am a senior on the Men's tennis team and I am doing an internship this school year with Coach Rodgers, Coach Kris, and Coach Brad.  I will be posting each Monday morning to give you some inside information on one of our freshmen tennis players.  This week will be about Laura Hensley-Birky.




Name: Laura Hensley-Birky  
      
Birthdate: 11/27/93

Hometown: I was born here in Cedar Rapids and have lived here my entire life.

Favorite Tennis Player: Roger Federer is my favorite tennis player.  He’s my favorite because he is the best player ever.  I also like him because he makes tennis look easy and makes you want to be a better player.

Favorite non-tennis sport/hobby: Volleyball is my favorite sport to play besides tennis.  I’ve been around volleyball my entire life and started playing competitively when I was 8.  

General background information:  My parents are Tom and Kathy Birky.  We have 2 dogs – Maggie (beagle) and Lucy (Belgian shepherd).   I have 4 older sisters: Sarah, Teresa, Katie and Elizabeth.  I am also an aunt! I have 8 amazing nieces and nephews.  As I was growing up I played softball, volleyball, and tennis.  In high school I played volleyball and tennis.  In volleyball I was a 3 year varsity player (setter) making an appearance in 2 state tournaments.  In tennis I was a 4 year varsity player making an appearance in 1 state tournament.  Tennis awards I received in high school include: Second team all-conference, second team all-metro, first team all-conference, and first team all-metro, and team captain for 2 years.  

What separates you from everyone else:
I love being part of a team and feel strongly about doing well for not only myself, but for the whole team.  Playing team sports and coming from a big family I understand the importance of working together as individuals to attain the goal of the group.  That may be one reason why I love playing doubles so much!  I always play my best when my outcome is going to affect my team.  Whether I am playing on the court or sitting on the sideline, you will see me supporting my teammates.  I am excited to be part of the Kohawk tennis team!

No comments:

Post a Comment