Thursday, August 30, 2012

Iowa: Day One


For my first blog post I thought I would give my first impressions of arriving in Iowa from an outsider’s perspective. Having grown up in Texas my whole life, I had never even been to Iowa before I took the job at Coe.

 On Wednesday August 15, 2012 I hopped in my truck and drove all day (over 12 hours) to get to Iowa. I must say, I didn’t know exactly what to expect. I had looked up everything I could about Coe and Cedar Rapids before leaving Texas, but reading about a place and being there are obviously two different things. As part of my Iowa education, I considered re-watching Field of Dreams, but upon further reflection decided against it. How much baseball or Kevin Costner could there be in Iowa? I decided both were probably at extremely low levels (kinda like rain). I did hold out for a James Earl Jones sighting upon crossing the state line, but those dreams were crushed despite passing miles and miles of corn fields. Corn was everywhere, and despite the lack of rain, everything was greener than where I am from in Texas.

Oddly enough, when I arrived in Cedar Rapids, Coach Kris said she and Coach Rodgers were at a baseball game. Baseball in Iowa? Perhaps Field of Dreams didn’t completely lie to me as a child. I set out for the Kernels (minor league affiliate of the Angels) game excited to finally meet the coaches while hearing the words, “People will come Ray,” playing in my head. The stadium was very nice and it was great to meet the coaches plus Emmie. 
Give me all your coke and ice cream

Unfortunately, the place was sans Kevin Costner and James Earl Jones. I know it was just a movie, but come on, a Shoeless Joe Jackson spotting would have made my year! Also, the Kernels got soundly beat (the ump really should have checked the opponents bats, the ball was flying out).

 I don’t remember the final score of the game (it wasn’t close), but the evening was enjoyable and the weather was great. A baseball game was an exciting way to begin my time in Iowa. 

That's right, I'm in charge. Now give me the car keys.

No comments:

Post a Comment