Thursday, September 12, 2013

Confession Time

It’s now the 3rd week of school and everyone is settling into their routines: classes, lunch, practice, study hours, sleep – for some students you can probably cut out everything there except lunch and sleep. I am settling back into my own routines as well. Everytime I walk by my front desk workers I make sure to yell insults at them; ya know, character building and what not. It’s a comfortable; rewarding routine and so is writing every Thursday. This week I thought we would have a one-way discussion on the US Open Finals just like we did last year. I only saw the 2nd set, so I’ll assume Djokovic won. Let’s get right into this!... What’s that? Who won?

Oh. That saddens me.

Okay, routines are stupid. Who needs to talk about the US Open every year anyway? Time to change things up.

I have a confession to make. This past summer during all my travels I went to a lot of coffee shops. That is not a surprising revelation since I was with people who loved coffee. What is surprising is this: I developed a real enjoyment of coffee shops and even for coffee itself!

Bless me for I have sinned

It’s okay, I know this is stunning news. Take you time, breath into a bag, reach for your security blanket, let this perspective-changing, worldview-shattering news permeate your soul. This must be incredibly difficult news; especially considering my many documented and unsuccessful episodes with coffee

I’m not sure how this happened. Peer pressure? Mental pressure? Atmospheric pressure? I can hear my mother now, “If everyone jumped off a bridge would you drink coffee too?” or something to that effect. My drink of choice for this summer was an iced latte with a flavor shot that varied each time; vanilla, mint, caramel, pralines (they love those in New Orleans). I went to so many coffee shops that I simply couldn’t help myself. You try a latte the 1st time and think, “eh, whatever” then you try it a 2nd time and think “it’s okay” and next thing you know you’re looking forward to going to the coffee shop and think “wow that was a really delicious!”

Once again breathe

Now don’t get me wrong. I still think half the people in those places are weird as a flying penguin. Anybody wearing jeans that skinny and tight should pass out due to lack of circulation. You just can’t trust ‘em! And, sadly, it seemed like the weirder the place the better the coffee. One particular shop in Austin had some of the best coffee I had all summer and they also proudly served vegan food. You could practically feel the misplaced cynicism and irony seeping out into the atmosphere like an old industrial smoke stack. 

Despite my best efforts, I did come to enjoy my time at these places. It’s almost like I developed feelings for these places against my will. My friends took me there all the time, almost like an abduction. Eventually I gave in and started actively helping find these places... Oh My God. I have Stockholm Syndrome! It all makes sense now. I’ve developed an emotional, sympathetic bond to my “captors.”

I feel ya Patty

Don’t worry about me loyal nation of 3 followers. I will overcome this calamity. It will be tough but I know I can do it. And it’s going to be a lot easier right after I have some coffee.


No comments:

Post a Comment