Sunday, June 3, 2012

So......my tournament recap

Well, yes, I did enter and play a "road" tournament for the 1st time in 10 years....new age group being the reason. 

Things I learned:

1) even at 55, nerves are present
2) 55 year olds....well, they play like 55 year olds, not college players
3) my fancy "new" underspin BH does not work against players who do not hit topspin
4) my fancy "new" slingshot FH does not work if I won't use it, because I am scared to miss
5) my fancy "new" serve DOES work....at least until the legs are gone
6) I am not any faster now that I am in the 55's
7) "choking" is still something I am very capable of accomplishing
8) my good volleys are rather useless when I go to the net 3X in 5 sets
9) my surgically repaired elbow, knee and shoulder held up
10) had I managed to not lose yesterday.....not sure I could have played today,
      five sets on hardcourts is a lot!

Things I will try and do better:

1) HIT my FH...no matter what
2) change my return grip away from a semi-western FH
3) try and re-locate my "old" slice BH
4) go to the net......OFTEN
5) play aggressively at end of sets
6) have an improved Shot Tolerance
7) improve my Shot Quality
8) establish some Self Tolerance. I must deal with my own ineptitude!

Will try (since I have already paid) again next week. On clay!

No comments:

Post a Comment