Thursday, January 26, 2012

A typical day in the Racquet Center...

Apologies for the quality (or lack thereof) of the picture, but the view from the tennis player's lounge, and my day thus far, reminded me why I'm at Coe. I started my morning on court with Molly Garber (Fiala), a recent All-American graduate. She is a nurse at Mercy Hospital here in Cedar Rapids. While warming up (which only takes one ball with Molly), we discussed Australian Open play, and each of our late evenings because of it. Followed that up with some fairly high quality ball-striking and set-play! Before her departure for work, she commented on how much she gained from her experience as a tennis player at Coe. She claims that no one truly knows Coach (Rodgers) until they have been a tennis player under him; he gave her life skills (and a perspective towards life in general) that she has much appreciation for. Molly also alluded to Coach's personality, and the way he treats his players as being unmatched.

I now find myself grabbing a snack in the player's lounge, with the view pictured above. Another alum and local realtor, Steve Eden, is playing against our top Kohawk, Michelle Schupbach, on the first court. Fellow teammates, Jackie Pedersen and Elizabeth Hoffmann, are on the second court. Coach Rob is working with Hiroshi (a student from Japan, who came to us with a "soft tennis" background). Yehya Abdullah, another alum, on on the fourth court!

Up next: I teach a max fitness class at 1 (Hannah Jensen, also a recent alum and standout at Coe, will be joining my class). Back on court with Coach Rodgers at 2. Day off for the men playing challenge matches this weekend, but I suspect many of them will find the courts this afternoon nonetheless.

Proud to be a Kohawk!

No comments:

Post a Comment