Thursday, February 13, 2014

Heat Wave

It's no secret this has been a rough winter. I've gotten so used to a negative sign in front of the temperature reading I thought we had added a new number. Even places in the South have been reeling: Dallas has had ice, Duke-UNC was postponed, Atlanta got 2 inches of snow- it was overwhelming.

Two days ago when I woke up the temperature read -18 degrees! That's fairly cold, so you can imagine my shock this Thursday afternoon we I saw the mercury had risen up to 37. If you do the math- and I'm sure none of you did because I'm constantly told America sucks at math- then you'll notice that is a change of 55 degrees. I don't care where you are, a 55 degree change is substantial. I rode my bike today in shorts because after facing -18 just 2 days ago what could be troubling about 37 degrees? 

Now don't hear what I'm not saying. Temperatures in the 30's are still cold and at the low end, still freezing in the most literal sense. All I'm saying is that you sure do notice a change like that, and when that change is from the negatives to positive numbers it is very much appreciated. 

I almost feel terrible for saying these things. What am I becoming when the prospect of mid-30 temps excites me like a 6 year-old at Christmas? If I keep this up they definitely won't let me back into Texas. For one, I would probably melt. And Secondly, I think they revoke any member privileges for living in cold weather for any stretch of time. They're probably working on legislation to evict people living in the Panhandle area for their indiscretion. Temperatures are projected to reach the 40's early next week. It's been so long, I'll believe it when I see it.


No comments:

Post a Comment