Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Kohawk Happenings (Wednesday's Health & Wellness Included)

The most recent Tennis magazine quickly caught my attention; The Fitness Issue! Three additional foods are touted as being SuperFoods: Seaweed (protects heart and waistline), Cupuacu (fights aging and boosts energy) and Miso (protects the prostate, breasts and lungs). That particular article also gave a great definition of SuperFoods which I'll reiterate here since I'm always hyping and piping the term: a food with nutrients or natural compounds that go to work in your body to optimize health or prevent disease.

The magazine also had a 10 step workout designed specifically for tennis players. Pleased to see that parts of it are already incorporated into my own, class and team conditioning. However, attained new ideas also!

Although I do not believe in the term "dieting" or any type of fad related to, my parents jumpstarted their nutrition kick with the Cabbage Soup Diet Plan last week and had success with it. Success is in italics because I again state my disagreement with the concept and/or results tied specifically to weight loss. Nonetheless, the recipe itself is quite healthy, and has many Super/Magic foods within. Also, the results seem to have spurred my parents into modifying their nutrition plan moving forward into one that is better balanced and truly geared towards health and well-being! I am thrilled about that....have I mentioned how great family is (parents, family and extended family).....can't imagine life without them!

A week long trip to the Dominican Republic ahead for many members of the Kohawk Tennis extended family, and my fitness class. Enjoy!!

A regular in my fitness class, Wendy Ausdemore (Recruiting & Office Assistant within the Athletic Administration at Coe and former University of Iowa basketball player), ran an impressive mile time as part of a boot camp training program. No doubt in my mind that she will better that time in weeks/months ahead also!

Thought I had previously shared this picture, but my fitness class informed me that I had not. One evening this past Fall, Emmie insisted on joining me for part of a workout (the alternative was bedtime). She immediately dropped into plank form. To rebut the obvious implication - no, she is not in training.......yet!

Doug, or Mr. T as he was referred to, is now clean shaven; lost the mohawk pictured below (as part of the 4 AM Waffle House crew). He looks much better, and appeared to be quicker on the court today! Speaking of practice, I overheard Doug badgering Curtis about the fact that Curtis showed little signs of sweat during practice. Curtis responded that he simply doesn't sweat very much, and attributed that to his darker complexion. Doug balked at his explanation.


No comments:

Post a Comment