Wednesday, November 2, 2011

News & Notes

Steve Eden wrestled at Coe back in the day, and attained success in the ring as a National Golden Gloves Champion. Eden is a realtor in the area, but seems to spend more time in the confines of the Clark Racquet Center than anywhere else??? He is on court 4 or 5 times per week, periodically hits with our women (and myself) during the off-season and always does a great deal of trash-talking. Eden has agreed to give me boxing lessons, and I look forward to the challenge.

Coach Rob is headed to Las Vegas tomorrow for a reunion with his teammates from Whitman. Rob is excited to see everyone, and strike a few tennis balls with them! Coach Rob is also in the process of revamping his diet.....I'm taking him to Sam's Club upon his return from Vegas to stock up on fruits and vegetables!

Full Circle - Warren Lock (a former member of the Australian Davis Cup team) periodically hits at Coe with his daughter, a current student. In prep for my 9.0 Mixed National's in Tucson next weekend, I have been playing much doubles this past couple of weeks. Twice now, Coach Rodgers and I have played against Warren and Nikki Burke - a 2002 graduate of Coe and the only female player in Coe's history to fill the top singles and doubles spot each and every time she competed on behalf of the Kohawks (Jon Turbett accomplished the same on the men's side)! The irony within.......Warren was MY first EVER tennis coach 20+ years ago at North Dodge Athletic Club in Iowa City. Coach Rodgers recruited both Nikki and I to Coe......since we're the same age, we were SUPPOSED to be doubles partners and Coach often reminds me of that. I now admit that, had I known then what I now know, I would have chosen Coe. Nonetheless, no regrets!

Props to the members of my fitness class who keep showing up, and wanting more! We're almost 10 (?) weeks in and the progress is very evident. Hosting 4 classes (per request) this week instead of the usual 2. The attention paid to nutrition has also picked up.....members are now logging their nutrition on myfitnesspal.com.....my personal profile is CoachKris12 if you'd like to set up an account and friend me.

No comments:

Post a Comment