Saturday, May 14, 2011

Personal Training

Although difficult to wrap up the season and see many of the players depart campus for home / summer activities, life goes on. I will be spending much of the summer putting time into my own game once again, with the assistance of Coach Rodgers. Those that understand Kohawk Tennis know that Coach would go bananas without someone to coach during the off season.

As for tournament play/schedule, I actually signed up for 4 circuit events, in hopes that I am accepted into at least 1 of the qualifying draws:
$10,000 Cleveland, OH - June 20th - 26th
$10,000 Atlanta, GA - July 11th - 17th
$10,000 Evansville, IN - July 18th - 24th
$10,000 St. Joseph, MO - July 25th - 31st
The qualifying draws begin the Friday before the event start date. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

I will also be playing singles and mixed doubles (with recent Coe graduate Scott Stegemann) at the US Open Sectional Qualifier Tournament in Norman, OK June 22-26.

Lastly, I'll be playing a few local tournaments, and will be looking to add to my tournament schedule depending upon whether accepted to the above circuit events.

Physically, I started the Insanity workout series 4 weeks ago. This is my 2nd go at the 9 week program; I completed the series last Spring as well leading up to my tournament play. I actually just wrapped up the 4th week this morning. Next week is a "recovery" (still difficult) week, followed by another 4 weeks of extremely challenging workouts. HOWEVER, I just recently acquired the sequel series to Insanity......The Asylum.....which is geared towards the training of professional athletes. It is likely that I'll start Asylum this Monday, and finish the latter 5 weeks of Insanity following my 30 day commitment to the Asylum (pun intended).

On court, Coach has modified my serve to include a higher ball toss, different set with my feet, and more utilization of the torso to generate racquet head speed. The result......increased consistency, more power and accuracy.....for the first time in my life, I'm actually getting free points on my serve despite being only 5'3.75'' and a $1.12. We are also putting time into the depth on my rally groundstrokes, moving to the bounce in order to capitalize on short ball opportunities, the transition game, etc, etc. Will keep working.....1% better everyday, right!

Off to the Robins Fire Department Pancake Breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment