Friday, May 27, 2011

Friday NCAA Play

This will be brief. Has been a long 4 days of much tennis, and need to be up early to catch a flight! Still in the process of digesting play, both team and individual (singles and doubles). I am very thankful to Coach Rodgers, and Coach Rob for attending IA Boy's State while I stomped around on his turf, for providing me with the opportunity to attend. I am more stoked than ever to assist in building a team, and individuals, that can and will compete at this level. We already have a very solid base, and will continue to grow each and every day!

A few notes from today's Individual Tournament:
- I haven't seen anyone that can compete with Gabrielle Clark (Emory) on the singles court. Kendra Higgins (Chicago) took a set off her (in a tiebreaker) during the team tournament, but Clark's physicality took over the match at that point. Clark is that much more athletic, quick and physical than the other competitors. I expect her to take the title with ease.
- I also expect Pottish (Emory) and Lane (CMS) to hold seed, and meet in the Finals, with Pottish coming out on top of a battle.
- In other words, I predict a repeat of 2009, in which Emory took both the men's (Michael Goodwin - brother Chris is in the draw this year and was the runner-up last year) and women's (Lorne McManigle) singles titles.
- I only caught a single round of doubles play. On one hand, it is difficult to bet against the experience of 2 time champions, Chrissy Hu and Kendra Higgins, of Chicago. However, their doubles play this week wasn't up to par in the team tournament (beaten by Williams, and Emory?). That leaves the door open for a solid 2nd seeded pair in CMS and/or a double dip victory for Clark?
- Based on the team tournament, the Amherst men play very solid doubles. I did see their top pair fall to Emory's #1 duo but that loss was avenged in 3 sets today by Amherst's #2 squad. Thus, I expect Amherst (#1 or #2) to add to their trophy case with a doubles victory.

I ate one of the best meals I've had in a long time at Dr. Grubb's on Bonita Avenue downtown Claremont this evening. Atlantic salmon, vegetable medley and a tomato pesto sauce. Superb and reasonably priced. Highly recommend if you are in the area.

Thanks again to Coach Rodgers; the trip will pay dividends to Kohawk Tennis in terms of my own growth as a coach. Can't complain that the growth happened to be obtained in sunny CA!

Yeah, yeah......not as brief as I expected it to be. Hope you enjoyed my journey the past 4 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment