Monday, April 4, 2011

Odds, Ends, & Stuff....

.....I guess it is fortunate that our Men's match scheduled last Friday was postponed. Not sure I mentally could have dealt with one more close tennis match! I admit that Saturday night(after dropping Men's matches 45, 45, & 36) I was not good company. Spent a couple of hours sitting outside with my three dogs. Good therapy!

.....In the middle of last week Brian Huinker, Tennis Coach at Luther College, announced his resignation. A sad day for small college tennis in the Midwest. I hate to see a good, young coach leave the business. I know coaching is a lot of weekend work, hours on the road away from home, and I wish him success in his new business endeavor. Brian did a good job in his 10 years, successfully replacing two legendary coaches(Su Oertel & Rich Leake), his Teams played with emotion and effort. College Tennis will miss him.

.......Djokovic vs Nadal yesterday. Wow! Can those two guys cover the tennis court, or what?

......Was extremely pleased to play 23 players in our four matches. It is nice to provide "experiences" for so many. If the weather holds, we will get to play at least 12 guys on Saturday at Whitewater. I am a firm believer that you cannot improve as a tennis player without playing matches. That's not really rocket science, is it?

......For many of us in small college coaching it is Decision Month. the month of April is when the majority of d3 athletes make their college choice. I don't sleep well this month!

No comments:

Post a Comment