Sunday, May 23, 2010

NCAA Tennis Championships

Tomorrow begins my week long stay in Cleveland, Ohio for the Men's D3 Tennis Championships. They are being held at Oberlin College just a few miles west of Cleveland.

Why am I here ?

This marks my 4th and final year on the NCAA National D3 Tennis Committee. The Committee serves as part of the Games Committee during the Championships. Sounds important, but the staff at Oberlin do the bulk of the leg work! Tomorrow is the practice day for the eight participating teams. Play will open Tuesday morning at 10am Eastern.

Funny, in an ironic sort of way, that I am here chairing the Championships in 2010. A bunch of years ago(1976) two teammates and I rode all night to Jackson, Mississippi to support our teammates as they tried to win the very first D3 Tennis Championships. They did win and some 34 years later I am again receiving the opportunity to watch great tennis by "real" student-athletes!

No comments:

Post a Comment