Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Health & Wellness Wednesday - Beans & Greens

I was recently referenced to the following blog: The Healthy Dessert Blog
Specifically, the recipe linked below.....a cookie pie (or bar form if preferred) made with garbanzo BEANS (one of the original 14 SuperFoods). Personally, I'm not much of a dessert eater myself, and I got mixed reviews from the dessert eaters in my family this past Easter weekend. Nonetheless, Michelle and I found it to be quite good.

This month's Tennis Magazine included an article on facts and fiction of organic foods. The four FACTS:
  • Organic Foods May Be Better for Your Physique - Apparently, "research shows that pesticide residues from conventionally grown foods may be a factor in rising obesity rates."
  • Organic Foods Provide More Nutrients
  • Organic Food Tastes Better
  • Organic Benefits Go Beyond Nutrition - "Organically produced foods cannot be given antibiotics," which saves our ground and water systems from "an unhealthy domino effect."
To build on that last point, health and wellness encompasses the environment that surrounds us. I was intrigued by the idea of a Zero Waste Home. Although an extreme approach, I challenge each of you to try and incorporate 3 of the linked Tips into your own lifestyle. I vouch to actually start using the reusable grocery totes that I have, to shop the Farmers' Markets this Summer (already on my calendar) and in general, REFUSE (trying to declutter my house anyway; no sense in adding to the mess!).

This website is pretty neat also: Practically Green
How it Works: Want to live healthy, green and sustainable but not sure where to start? Join now, see your score, get personalized suggestions for steps to take and products to use.

Finally, a statement related to the other type of green - envy! According to Family Circle Magazine, "while coveting gives the brain a boost (sharpens both memory and attention to detail), it also creates mental fatigue. Bottom line: Be grateful for what you've got!"

No comments:

Post a Comment